USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 3 miles north of Fawnskin, 102 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Fawnskin 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 860K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Little Bear Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 1 mile round trip cross-country
- Gain: 600'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: John Backus, 1975
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 to I-215.
- Drive north on I-215 to SR 210.
- Drive east on SR 210 to SR 330.
- Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs.
- Drive east on SR 18 to the dam at Big Bear Lake. Turn left on SR
- Drive on SR 38 to Fawnskin. Turn left (northwest) on 3N14.
Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.3 miles, fork with 2N13 to the left and 3N14 to the right. Go
- At 1.8 miles, fork with Holcomb Valley Road, 3N12, to the right.
- At 2.4 miles, fork. This is the turnoff for Little
Bear Peak. Go right on 3N12.
- At 3.6 miles, park at the cleared area at a saddle where the Pacific
Crest Trail (PCT) crosses the road.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (7800'), hike south up the opposite slope,
bearing to the left on an old cat track.
- Follow this about
1/4 mile to where it crosses a ridge.
- Turn to the right up the ridge and go
about 150 yards to another cat track.
- Follow this cat track straight up
the slope to the summit.
From the same parking area, go left on the PCT about 1/3 mile to where a
jeep road goes uphill to the right. Follow the jeep road to the summit.